Become a Host Family
Estrie International is always seeking quality host families to care for and support our students while they are studying with us. The majority of our students taking advantage of our homestay program are in our English Immersion programs or in our Study Tours and therefore it is critical that our host families are either native English speakers or have very strong English skills.
Estrie recognizes the wonderful cultural diversity of Canada and happily accepts many host families for whom Engish is not their first language. We do require however that all conversations with students be conducted in English only. Additionally, as a courtesy to our students, we require that all conversations with other family members and friends be conducted in English when the student is in the home, even if the conversation is not directly intended for the student.
There are several steps to becoming a host family for Estrie International Language School.
1) Contact us through the link found under “Register”
2) Estrie’s Accommodation Coordinator will contact you and send you our registration form and provide you with an overview of the program
3) Your application will be evaluated by Estrie’s Accommodations Coordinator and if your home profile fits our program needs, a home visit and interview will be arranged
4) If your application is accepted, you will be requested to provide:
- Criminal record checks for all members in your home over the age of 18 years
- Photos of the inside and outside of your home, the student’s room and photos of your family
- A copy of any family rules that apply in your home
5) Once all documentation is in place, you will be matched with a suitable student as the need arises. Please note that acceptance is not guaranteed
Students may seek homestay accommodation for as little as one or two weeks or as long as one year. Some wish to be placed with a family with children and/or pets, others do not. In all cases, we will endeavour to find the best match between student needs and homestay family preferences.
The relationship between Estrie International School and our Homestay Families is an ongoing one, built on respect and cooperation. If you are to be a successful Estrie host family, you will:
- Conduct all conversations with and around your student in English at all times, regardless of the languages spoken by the family
- Contact Estrie immediately if there are any concerns, issues or questions that arise during your student’s stay
- Inquire directly to Estrie regarding homestay payments, not your student
- Treat your student as a family member and not as a boarder
- Spend time with your student during the evenings and on weekends
- Include your student in family activities and evening/weekend outings
- Help your student adjust to living in Canada
- Commit to hosting your student for the duration of his or her stay (your student cannot stay in the home alone)
- Prepare well-balanced breakfasts, lunches, and dinners for the student
- Respect your student’s culture and embrace the opportunity for cultural exchange
Estrie International School charges the student an initial Homestay Placement fee, to match them with a suitable host family. We also charge a small administration fee on top of the host family fees to cover payment administration.
Host family fees are generally paid to Estrie International School in advance, and then we normally pay host families in 4-week blocks (with partial months being pro-rated)
If you would like more information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.